Friday, February 1, 2013

Puppy Love Apple Cinnamon Dog Bones


Today is one of my dog’s 14th birthday so I made these apple cinnamon dog bones. 

I made them because I just love him so SO much and although he is 14 I still think of him as my puppy love.

Then I realized how very cinnamony these dog biscuits smell and thought of Valentine’s Day because you know how I associate Valentine’s with cinnamon.

The dogs are important members of the family.  I bake for all my loved ones and so it only makes sense that I would bake for the pooches as well.

The recipe is pretty easy and the dogs seem to like them... at least they come and grab them and run away with them gobble them down and come back for more – mind you they do that with any treat I give them so perhaps this crowd is not the most discerning…

But they seemed to enjoy these fresh baked, low fat treats which makes me happy. And, here is how I made them.

Ingredients

4 cups whole wheat flour – plus more for flouring work service
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 egg
1 teaspoon cinnamon (heaping)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large apple -- grated
1 1/3 cup water – more if needed to moisten mixture

Directions

Preheat oven to 350o.

In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for the apple and water.

Mix grated apple into mixture and add water.

Mix until it starts sticking together.

Roll out on a floured surface to about ¼”thick and cut into whatever shapes you like.  I used a dog bone and heart but other cute/fun shapes could be a gingerbread postman or a cat.

Place cut cookies on a parchment paper lined sheet and bake for 60 minutes.

Cool and share with your best friend.  I'm sure they will LOVE you for it because that is just the way dogs are and we are lucky to have them in our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment